Hammer

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Hammer

Postby gonzocult82 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:01 pm

I just watched the VP "Highland Games Throws Training Set" DVD and during the Hammer throw, everyone moves their feet. At the richmond games we weren't suppose to move our feet. Sup with that?
Chris Parker
gonzocult82

Re: Hammer

Postby Rich McClain on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:45 am

You aren't suppose to move your feet until the release. Not being familiar with the video, boot blades assist in keeping your feet set. People that have an Olympic hammer throwing back ground rarely use boot blades and tend to shift their feet some, but not enough for the judge to call a foul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln9KeZNr7L4

Here's a somewhat grainy video of a Pro competition where you will see some minor and major feet movement but mostly during the release. The heals may move during the throw, but the feet do not shift.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby robert monroe on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:57 pm

rich-I call b.s. on that...steph will call foul in an instant.i also have a big problem w/braemar & the movement of the feet.steph has said once the feet r set there is NO movement whatsoever until the stone leaves the cheek/shoulder.i see people aloud to lift the front foot before they throw.steph has fouled people for even the slightest lift...I wish there is/was/could be a universal set of rules...so basically-ASK THE JUDGE THE RULES BEFORE THE THROW!!!!!
trry harder and you will suck less
robert monroe

Postby Rich McClain on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:25 pm

Awwwww. My feelings are almost hurt. You are correct. When in doubt, ask the judge. :)
Rich McClain

Return to Training