Cement throwing box/area

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Cement throwing box/area

Postby McNamee on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:36 pm

Okay, I want to hear the pros and cons of a cement throwing pad. In the spring (now) my throwing field is so wet and soggy you can't throw on it. I'm thinking of pouring a cement pad to throw WFD and Stone from. What do ya'll think?
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure. than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. T.R.
McNamee

Re: Cement throwing box/area

Postby jnccooley on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:07 pm

I can't think of a con other than, you don't throw on a cement pad to often ( at least I haven't came across a game yet that throws on a cement pad). Big pro is less wear and tear on your knee joints, you don't have the grass grabbing your shoes which would create stress and strain depending on how you throw
jnccooley

Postby McNamee on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:14 pm

do you think throwing on the cement could negatively affect throwing on the grass? so far the difference in footing is only thing I can see that could be an issue.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure. than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. T.R.
McNamee

Postby agm on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:10 pm

I have a concrete throwing pad, only because there's very little flat space in my yard. It's great for practice; the positions of the throw are the same no matter what the surface as long as it's flat. However, you'll have to do some footwork practice on grass in your throwing shoes, since turning your foot on grass in cleats or turf shoes is very different and it's hard to make the adjustment on game day if you haven't practiced it. That can be just drills, you don't need the space for full throws.
agm
Site Admin

Postby FrankH on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:06 pm

Practice on cement is better than no practice. You'll have plenty of time when the weather is good to get some grass time in.
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Return to Training