HWD orbit

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

HWD orbit

Postby BGood1992 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:51 am

My name is Brandon Good, I am 23 and I just picked up throwing in september. I am having trouble with my orbit on my weights for distance, especially the 56. Are there any tips of the trade that you all have come across to improve that facet of the throw?
BGood1992

Re: HWD orbit

Postby Rich McClain on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:02 pm

I'd recommend finding someone close to you with some experience and work with them. There are lots of things that things you will need to learn with throwing the 56. However, if you have the ability to post videos, people can break them down and give you a few pointers.

On the downside, most throwers on this board have begun their off-season training. Less throwing and more lifting. Keep an eye out for future clinics and other group practices. If the weather holds, there may be some that will pop up with minimal notice.

Good Luck!
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby BGood1992 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:58 am

Rich McClain wrote:I'd recommend finding someone close to you with some experience and work with them. There are lots of things that things you will need to learn with throwing the 56. However, if you have the ability to post videos, people can break them down and give you a few pointers.

On the downside, most throwers on this board have begun their off-season training. Less throwing and more lifting. Keep an eye out for future clinics and other group practices. If the weather holds, there may be some that will pop up with minimal notice.

Good Luck!

I am training with a guy who has 15+ years experience. I am taking what he knows and am having issues with speed and orbit on the HWD. I just like learning from multiple sources to kinda find the best technique for me. Here is a video from my last HWD practice

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5wMzL ... sp=sharing
BGood1992

Postby Rich McClain on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:41 pm

If you're on facebook, look at this Matt Vincent video. (best watched in Google Chrome)

https://www.facebook.com/matt.vincent.961/videos/vb.1385872905076066/1456719024658120/?type=2&theater

Thanks for posting your video: When the weight comes around in front of you during your cast, the first part of the movement, you keep it low. It should be higher above your hip. You need to keep your left foot up on your toes. That will allow you to rotate into the different positions.

Also you need to drop your arse with the weight. When the weight is down, your butt is down. When the weight is up, you are up. Your legs make the weight move, not your shoulders.

The 56 is the toughest weight to learn how to throw, because you have to wait on the weight to get to the next position. You also get tired quicker. You may want to work more with the 28 for proper positions with your feet until you have them down pat. Just my 2 cents.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Prime on Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:53 pm

What Rich said. In a nutshell, your orbits are backwards. When you are supposed to be high, you're low...and vice versa. I'm not the greatest, but I do ok...take a look at this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVXrS8dVgqY
Prime

Return to Training