pre-season/in season

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

pre-season/in season

Postby Sheaf daddy on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:49 am

For those of you coming to the clinic you will get more in more detail for in-season training but here is something to think about as the season progresses. You will need a mix of throwing training and lifting that works for you. it needs to be based on a combination of personal time, recovery time and where you are weakest. For example: I have a VERY forgiving wife (that gives me a fair amount of personal time) and the kids like watching practice too (again personal time) so I can throw usually 2x a week in the evening and once on the weekend. During the height of the season we practice 2.5 hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays and on Saturdays we do 4+ hours. Now we have a fairly large group so cut it by 1/3 if you are by yourself or in a small group.

I know this is hard to believe but I am not the strongest guy out there :shock: so maintain a certain level of strength is important to me. I am also a very techincal thrower so maintaining and improving technique is critical. Lastly, I have a moderate recovery time so I always have to watch over training. While everything I lay out here is scientific, I also listen to my body and moderate my intensity, do more drills or drop lifting for a week or two as needed. Also a massage therapist is a great thing.

So my in-season training is like this
Monday do dynamic lifting Cleans, jump shrug, push press, DL Lockouts. Everything is moderate and fast. Notice there are 3 pulls and only 1 push. Throwing is all about pulling. I do push press to maintain my newly rehabbed and strenthened shoulder.

Tuesday
Sheaf
Stone*
HWFD or LWFD (not both)

Wednesday
either Back Squats or Zercher Squats (depends on my core)
Leg Press
Toe Raise
I do Leg Press because I can (I like it) and toe raise because - well have you seen my calves? Moderate weights, move fast.

Thursday either drills if my legs are torched or
Hammer* winds and some throwing
WOB* (yeah this hurts after hitting legs the morning before)
Caber

Friday - off
Saturday - Start with Sheaf, then stone* (mostly drills), HWFD, LWFD, Caber or hammer*, then WOB*

Sunday active rest (cardio - kids - work)

The *'s aremy weakest events. Notice I am hitting my weakest three events 2x a week. ALWAYS practice your weakest as much as you can. I have neglected my hammer and I have not set a PR in it for 4 years! Stone I worked like a mother last year and jumped 2.5 feet breaking 40' twice in the season (thank you BJ!!!). I still drill it a lot and work hard on it to get it where I am consistent

Anywho - my two cents. This is based on my needs, weaknesses and so on.
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Re: pre-season/in season

Postby miked on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:43 pm

Yep, Bryan, I am pretty much on the same page with you.

I started my "in season" program this week. It will consist of the following:

Monday - light to mid level weight for dynamic lifts - push press, pulling exercises, i.e. snatch/cleans, jump shrugs, deads, etc
Tuesday- Throw
Wednesday - lift again - legs - dynamic jumps, front squats, farmer step ups, some bench, etc.
Thursday - throw
Friday - off/rest/recover
Saturday - throw everything
Sunday - rest/recover

I will be doing drills everyday, except Sunday. And, I will be doing core exercises on both lifting days.

this past monday's workout:

Dynamic warmup
drills - ctr pivots, modified South Africans, line drills
push press - 135 x 10 x 3 sets
snatch - 135 x 6 x 3 sets
RDL jump shrugs - 225 x 6 x 3 sets
DB mil presses drop sets - 65 x 10 drop to 20 x 10 for 2 sets
core crusher - 135 x 10 x 2 sets
60# D-ball crunches - 50
stretch

took me an hour and 5 mins.

throwin time is here! :D
miked

Postby Clancelt on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:05 am

Lets see, in season means only one piece of pie after each meal... shoot.

Trying something new this year, mainly to feel better. Although I have gotten stronger it was usually at the expense of my body. Trying to move 270 pounds quickly really does a number on your bones and tendons. I was starting to fall apart.

I'm down to 260, quit drinking, work out with high cardio power movements every day, and have got my waist smaller than my chest... woohoo, dead sexy! And that is really what this is all about.... looking good while you throw things 8-)

I feel strong, I'm faster, and I'm ready for Southern Maryland to hurry up and get here.

Yeah baby!
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Postby Rich McClain on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:04 pm

Clancelt wrote: quit drinking
as much? j/k

I'm faster and stronger, now I need more coordination with the implements. Drills, drills, drills.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Return to Training