Training - again

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Training - again

Postby Sheaf daddy on Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:13 am

The VMC has been having a few discussions around training, lifting and so on. One of the things I hear a lot of is "Ryan Vierra trains like this" or "Kerry Overfelt does that" and I think this can lead to some BIG mistakes in your training. The pros train how the pros train because they overcame a number of things (weaknesses, life, flexibility issues, etc) to get as good as they are. I don't want anyone to ignore the advice you get or the feedback provided but you need to take into account your own strengths and weaknesses when applying any advice.

Here is a case in point, Karl Dodge was once asked what he does for leg training and he came back with a number things he did including a lot of plyo work. He did NOT include squats. All of a sudden people were ignoring squats and a strength training tool because "Karl Dodge doesn't squat, he just does plyos"

Well, everyone was ignoring the point where Karl pointed out that on any given day he could walk in and squat 2x his body weight (640lbs) for a set of 20 reps. Squatting any heavier just made him slow and so he needed to work on his speed - hence the plyos.

So while Ryan doesn't lift in season he is usually competing every single weekend and he trains a couple of hours a day doing drills and such. Lifting will just over train him and break him down. If you find your strength waning then you need to lift and maybe just do drills for a bit. If you are strong but you are not hitting your rhythm then focus on drills and some throwing. If your rhythm is on but your finish is weak then single spins and full throws focusing on the finish. In other words, figure out what is working and not working and adjust.

The watch word is train like the pros trained to become pros, not necessarily like they do now.

I hope that makes sense.
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Return to Training