good core exercise

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

good core exercise

Postby Sheaf daddy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:24 am

so one little secret I have not shared that Jim Cawley used to do is the hammer twist or french hammer twist. It is a dynamic core exercise that hits the obliques and the delts big time. Take a barbell and put one end on the floor in a corner and you hold the other end. Add a donut (45lbs) less or more - start light and then work up to heavy. grab the end of the BB with the weight and hold it in front of you then twist to your right. When the bar gets to about waist high snap it around to your left. Keep your arms straight so the end of the bar goes in an arc of up and around to the left. Here is where it gets interesting. As the weight approaches your waist height slow the weight and then snap it up and around to your right. Rinse and repeat. The result will be a dynamic and plyometric core workout that will add a fair amount of thickness to your obliques and give you the strength you need to finish the heavy weight for distance throw. Do sets of 3-5 one day a week. Also you will find that giving yourself a wide base (spread your legs) will help with the torqueing forces trying to pull you off your feet.

I cannot find a video of this on the web tho. Maybe master dickens can come over and we will do some so we can post.
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Re: good core exercise

Postby barbe705 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:06 pm

Isn't that a russian twist?

brent
barbe705

Postby agm on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:12 pm

I think Pavel T. calls it a "full-contact twist". The folks over at Sorinex sell a "Landmine" device designed for that move.
agm
Site Admin

Postby S McCracken on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:21 pm

barbe705 wrote:Isn't that a russian twist?

brent

A russian / roman twist is done on like a sit up twist at the waist with arms extended holding the weight out the whole time.
I do them on an de-cline bench with a 45 plate 3 sets of 10 - 15 realy rips. Like plate stacking.
North American Highlander Ohio Chair
http://www.nahighlander.com
S McCracken

Postby Sheaf daddy on Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:37 am

yeah russian twists are a seated core exercise. The hammer twists are standing. I like the standing better because I include hip shifts involved which is more throwing specific however russian twists really rip the core so pick your poison - they both are good.

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Postby jim on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:32 am

With the french hammer twist, you get all of the supporting muscles for the wfd involved. Like Bryan said - if you setup right, you get the hips, legs and even shoulders involved. You can mimic the final pull of the wfd and start deep behind you and go high in front. I looked for the video but the site that used to have it is no longer up.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
jim

Postby bjketchem on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:07 pm

Is this the exercise you're referring to Bryan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG0mgmuuIiY
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Postby jim on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:27 pm

Darn close. Get the whole body into it, take it deeper to the sides and put some weight on it and you have it.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
jim

Postby Tim on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:49 pm

That looks like fun. I will have to add it to my reppetoir. rapatour. repatoir.........I'll have to do it some times.
"I love to sing, and I love to drink Scotch. Most people would rather hear me drink Scotch."- George Burns.

Rock the House
Tim

Postby Sheaf daddy on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:40 pm

That is EXACTLY the exercise. Only I would go faster. The goal is to make it a plyometric type of movement.

Sheaf daddy

Return to Training