caber pulls

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

caber pulls

Postby randy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:51 pm

don't know if any of you do this or have tried it, but i thought of using the cable machine to simulate the caber toss.

check it:

(for cable machines with a low height setting for the pulley) set the weight (most likely the whole stack), attach rope/chain/close-grip handle, grab it and step back a couple steps.

hold it where you would carry the caber, approach, stop&pop.

advantages: simulates movement very well. cable is very moveable from side-to-side, so it forces you to keep it centered (for that 12:00!). you can pull it all the way past your chin to over your head without having to chase after something you threw. can be repped much more frequently than repping with caber tosses. your heart will feel it.

disadvantages: requires specialized equipment. simulates direction of forces best at the bottom...strays from caber forces the further up you pull. you don't get to watch a 20' log fly through the air.

i will keep doin these. and then i'll graduate to the Wills No-Approach Braemar Cabar simulations.

!!

rking
STAY HUNGRY!!
randy

Re: caber pulls

Postby Sheaf daddy on Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:19 am

Very nice Randy! I think I will try those on my Sport Specific Lift day. For those of you that stand and do WOB I will mention cable pull throughs. Attach a single handle to a low cable. Turn your back to it and walk forward far enough that when you bend down with the single handle in one hand with you reaching back like you would for the WOB and the weights are lifted slightly off the ground.

Now pull with your hips, legs and back like you would the WOB. Check out Craig Smith's site http://www.kiltedthrower.com he used to have some video of that.

It is a great adjunct or sports specific lift to practice.

Bryan
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Postby randy on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:16 am

oh yeah, i saw CraigtheFreakinBeast doin those pull throughs, tried 'em, love 'em!

hope y'all like the caber pull-ups.

rking
STAY HUNGRY!!
randy

Postby bjketchem on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:24 pm

Some good ideas there gentlemen. Bryan I love pull throughs, such a great movement. I was playing around with some ideas the other day for the caber and this was something I came up with. I'm sure someone has tried these before, but i thought I would post it just in case. Not a perfect match, but I think it has it's merits... though, i think the back def. needs to stay more upright...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAcTixrIZvk

any thoughts?
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Postby Sheaf daddy on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:22 pm

Very nice. Haven't seen that before but nice.

If you could pull it so that the weight drifts up higher and then come down again. Maybe go heavier to work that.
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Return to Training