Tonight's Workout and Triple Extension Idea...

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Tonight's Workout and Triple Extension Idea...

Postby bjketchem on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:53 pm

So this week is pretty nuts, but I figured I would get a good idea where I am post rehab and do a little explosive "testing"...this is the 8th week out.

High Pull-I used this high pull indicator thing I came up with. I got the idea from a visit to Sorinex acouple years ago. That place is amazing and all about innovation. Their indicator wasn't as primitive, but the duct tape, conduit and truck keys came through for me :) I set the indicator at the height were I hit triple extension (ankle, knee, hip) with a shrug, which was "about" 2/3 of my height. I know , i know...here comes the short jokes :lol: ...anyway, I don't see much of a reason for catching a clean, to me the most important part is to achieve triple extension. Btw, the keys were used to let me know I hit the indicator...here is a video of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nsp3R_cK_I

5x95,1x3x135,1x2x135, 1x185, 1x225, 1x260, 1x300, 1x320, 1x330

3 consecutive bounds-3 attempts
1. 25 feet and change
2. 26 feet and change
3. 27'3"

Standing Long Jump-1 attempt
8'9"

-Stumplestiltkin
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Re: Tonight's Workout and Triple Extension Idea...

Postby Rich McClain on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:06 am

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!" Colonial Nathan R. Jessep (Jack Nicholson)

Here's the truth, you have some great ways of changing things up!

21 DEGREES in the garage/igloo
Day 3/Cycle 5
DB Bench press 70'sx5x3
Laying down rows 160x5x3 I only have an overhead pulley so I have to lay on a bench w/ feet up in air
Skull Crushers 75x5x3
Front Raises DB 40'sx5x3
Standing Hammer Curls 50'sx5x3
Lat Pull front 140x5x3
Kneeling DB rows 80x5x3
DB Arnold Flys w/1 sec hold 60'sx5x3
Tricep press down 60x5x3
Crunches hold for 1.5 minutes

Forearms feel like Popeye's again. Not as sore as previous cycle of Day 3

Temperature only a factor during the first 10 minutes
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Clancelt on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:56 am

I love reading what everyone is doing! My workout routines have changed drastically. I only do heavy lifting about two times a week now. I'm guessing I have to alternate back and forth because I cut back the lifting and am getting much stronger. My endurance is suffering though. So I added in some power/cardio days. Stair master, heavy bag, fast weighted crunches. Nothing too heavy but pretty intense aerobic wise.

Now the side effects.

My abs have started getting kind of freaky. They are rock hard under a nice layer of fat. Thus, although I am in much better shape my waist has gotten bigger... buzz kill. I'm hoping soon that will change.

The stair master has brought back my calves and my butt looks fantastic! :lol:

and lastly, 3x5 minute rounds on the heavy bag every other night as done wonders for my explosiveness. I hope to see a little improvement in my stone, at least a couple of extra feet from the punch. This has become my new favorite workout to blow off steam.

I have the McClain boys coming at me from both ends! :o
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Postby Sheaf daddy on Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:20 pm

hmmm I wonder which end I get.

Well my calves are still skinny, I am stronger, work is keeping me at a level of continued anger so I should throw farther, yeah - I am ready for the season to start.

As far as the thick core goes - yupp - that is my excuse, thick muscles
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Postby greg henger on Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:33 pm

I was at a track & field clinic in Columbus, OH this past weekend. One of the speakers was Andy Bloom and one of the things he spoke on was strength training for shot and discus geared for high school athletes. Andy hasn't thrown for 3 years but in his prime, he was ridiculously strong. He feels that the benefit from O-lifting is the triple extension and has no interest in the "catch". He insists on a snatch grip for the high pull to put more emphasis on the back and take the arms out of the pull.
He also believes that alot of athletes tend to be front side dominant where they should put more emphasis on the posterior.

I liked what he had to say.
greg henger

Postby bjketchem on Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Andy Bloom was a beast. That must have been a great clinic to have attended. I like the idea of using the snatch grip...makes lots of sense. Anything else interesting you picked up at the conference?
I will be the new, improved and almost as good-looking Mike Wills.
bjketchem

Return to Training