Best Glove?

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

Best Glove?

Postby Stephen Malutich on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:39 am

even thru a nice leather work glove ripped most of my hand up during a HWFD throw....hope batting glove will work better any thoughts on whats the best thing to use....this is somethin i really battled at McHenry, basically the whole day my hand had zero skin left
Stephen Malutich

Re: Best Glove?

Postby miked on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:25 am

I use a golf glove. It provides a thin barrier between the hand and handle, but is not bulky so it doesn't negatively effect grip. They don't last quite as long, but I used one for most of last season and am still using the one I replaced it with.

The main reason I use it is to save my thumbnail. In my experience, if I keep the callouses shaved down I don't lose skin.
miked

Postby FrankH on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:36 am

Hey, Steve-- I just use a tight-fitting leather glove I buy at Home Depot or Lowes. I don't use a particular style or brand, just one that has a full leather palm, reinforced. I usually get one size too small; they will get looser with use. Some guys then use duct tape or athletic tape around the wrist. If you hook grip, take a handle with you and try it out; some guys who hook grip don't like using gloves. In that case, tape your fingers and skip the gloves. Use athletic tape, torn in strips lengthwise; then tape your 4 fingers leaving a little space around the joints. Then heavily tape your thumb.
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby heavysprout on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:22 am

After experimenting a lot I went to a pair of blue ACE Hardware rubberized gardening gloves.
The aren't bulky so I feel like I get a good grip on the weight but my hands aren't chewed up like they usually get when I used thinner gloves or none at all.
Sprout - 'Semper Paratus'

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." -Pre
heavysprout

Postby forrester on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:07 am

Hey Steve,
I remember your hand was hamburger by the end of the day! I personally use the baseball glove with the reinforced palm. As I now use the hook grip, I tape the first two joints of my middle two fingers, tape my thumb and then the glove over that. I find that i still have enough sensitivity in my hand, no loss of grip, and since switching to this method I haven't torn my hands up anymore. Just keep in mind that you WILL go through gloves, I went through two pairs this season down here in Florida between practice and games. I also recommend that you get a separate set of gloves just for hammer and caber, because once the tacky goes on those gloves, that tacky is stayin on those gloves!
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

Everyone needs believe in something. I believe I'll have another scotch.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
forrester

Return to Training