need help begining my training

Training information, scheduling practice sessions, etc.

need help begining my training

Postby longbeard on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:04 pm

My name is Jason McComsey, I am in Lancaster PA, and I am intrested in training for the Highland Games. I am expirence in throwing in track in field and many techniques. I am working on ways to create training implaments. I've already created a hammer and a weight and a stone. They are not at all regulation, just ideas for training purpose and ways to use old bowling balls. If there is anyone near by that would be intrested teaching me or letting me watch a practice session or two where i could learn a few things for me to try please contact me. my e-mail is Longbeardpoet@yahoo.com

Jason McComsey
longbeard

Re: need help begining my training

Postby Rich McClain on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:20 pm

Hello Jason,

I am on the other side of the state from you near Pittsburgh. Last year was my first year competing so I did some homework and found a really good website.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/8682/heavy/basic.htm

Lots of information at the site. YouTube also has lots of videos that show the events being contested as well as may lifting and training videos. Type in key words: caber, lwfd, wob, hwfd, hammer, Olympic lifting, etc.

I'm sure that some of the guys near you will be in touch with you about training and things.

Welcome aboard!
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Re: need help begining my training

Postby randy on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:30 am

I've already created a hammer and a weight and a stone.

gifted with the creation of stone...you, sir, are in the right sport!!

just bein goofy.

seriously, tho, welcome! and since you are online, you might wanna watch many of the fine video clips available of professional athletes doin their thing.
great site to start is http://www.highlandgames.net . alotta new guys study these for technique.

as far as weight training goes, we do a variety of lifts with the motivation being EXPLOSION! we do alotta high pulls, jump shrugs, push presses, plyometrics, etc.

talk to Bryan "Sheaf Daddy" McClain about meeting up with a training partner near you.

randy king
STAY HUNGRY!!
randy

Return to Training