Whiskey question/appraisal

If it doesn't belong on the board, please keep it off the board. If you can't, post it here.

Re: Whiskey question/appraisal

Postby agm on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:28 pm

Share it. Mix it.
agm
Site Admin

Postby FrankH on Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:58 pm

I think Chivas is pretty OK. My grandfather got me started on Scotch 35 years ago when I was a brand-new Marine butter-bar. He mixed it with ice and a little water, so I did too. I still do, for the most part. He drank Passport, an inexpensive blend, so that's what I learned to like. So it was pretty great when I started drinking good blends like Chivas and later single malts. I still think of Chivas as a pretty good scotch, and a good bottle to share around the holidays. But then again, I have no problem kicking back with a Passport or Famous Grouse, either. To me, most Scotch ranges from good to real good. ;)
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby kiltedhitman.4 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:32 am

In my opinion, never hoard any alcohol! ( People are generally less likely to refer to you as an alcoholic if you share!) Chivas 12 is a good blend with a sweet, creamy finish and if to be enjoyed in true Scotch fashion should be at room temp and cut with a little water but NEVER put over ice. :o (The cold kills the flavors and the aromas) Enjoy.

Whisky is the correct spelling when referring to Scotch. Whiskey is correct for Irish and Bourbon. :roll:
Neal Collins
kiltedhitman.4

Postby FrankH on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:24 pm

I think those recommendations are more applicable to fine (read "expensive" or "single malt") Scotch. Similar to how a $100 bottle of burgundy wine wouldn't be at it's best when made into sangria.

I drink mostly blends (usually Famous Grouse, probably the most popular blend in Scotland; most of my friends hate it) because I'm a cheap bastard; water and ice is fine for my purposes, I have 'em before dinner and sometimes with dinner. But I like and can appreciate a good single malt Scotch too. Neat or with a bit of pure water; no ice.

If you order a Scotch and water in the US, you normally get a blended bar Scotch with water and ice-- OK by me. (Usually too much water; I ask for a splash.) Now if I ordered a 25 year-old single malt, I'd expect it to arrive in the proper glass, neat, with a little water on the side. I'd check the color, swirl it around, note the legs and the nose, maybe add a bit of water and agitate, sip and hold it in my mouth, note the finish, etc., etc.-- because paying $75 for a shot will make you take some time to appreciate your Scotch. Me, anyway.

In Scotland you see plenty of people mixing Scotch (even single malts) with Coke (yikes) and other stuff. To each his own. But as for Chivas, a nice blend that IMHO certainly wouldn't be insulted by a little water, and in my case anyway I'd add an ice cube or two. Cheers!
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

FrankH

Postby grgreer on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:28 pm

The nose? The legs? What about the booty?
grgreer

Postby grgreer on Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:54 pm

I guess no one got the Sinbad comment from the movie "Houseguest". :?
I am with you, Frank, on the high dollar stuff. It should be enjoyed neat, or however you choose to imbibe on what you have in your possession. I generally leave the mixing to the mid shelf and lower fare.
grgreer

Postby Beau Fay on Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:57 pm

J&B and soda on the rocks.
I kinda like goldfish... live.
Beau Fay

Postby Mike Wills on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:12 am

I like Captain Morgan and Sprite. I think the best whiskey is Crown Royal...and I think "good scotch" tastes light kerosene! $75 is my bi-annual alcohol budget...so no need to waste the good stuff on me!
Mike Wills

Postby FrankH on Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:14 pm

You might want to lay off the kerosene. :shock:

And at least when you get hammered, you don't have far to fall. :P

FrankH

Postby TheHammer on Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:17 pm

a short joke? et tu Frank? I thought you were better than that. so disappointing...
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

David Marble
The new sheaf gnome
and board lurker extraordinaire
TheHammer

Postby FrankH on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 am

Sorry to let you and the rest of Clan Oompa-Loompa down. Shoulda said something more UPlifting. :D

FrankH

Postby randy on Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:22 am

One word:

Crown Black
STAY HUNGRY!!
randy

Return to Off-topic and nonsense