ADD and the games

If it doesn't belong on the board, please keep it off the board. If you can't, post it here.

ADD and the games

Postby Sheaf daddy on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:19 am

OK - so as I go through my latest ADD book I begin to wonder how many other guys/gals have it.

I know the IT industry - specifically developers - are rife with it. Oh yeah and before anyone starts on it - I like this author's view of the world. Everyone else really has Attention Surplus Disorder. They have this compulsion to actually focus on the details! :shock: :o

While I am on it here is the Autistics view of the world - Neurotypicals are non-Autistics

DSN-IV (The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of 'Normal' Disorders)
Disorders Usually First Evident in Infancy, Childhood, or Adolescence
666.00 Neurotypic Disorder
The essential features constitute a severe form of Invasive Developmental Disorder, with onset in infancy or childhood.

Diagnostic criteria for 666.00 Neurotypic Disorder
At least eight of the following sixteen items are present, these to include at least two items from A, one from B, and one from C.

Note: Consider a criterion to be met only if the behavior is abnormal for the person's developmental level.

A. Qualitative impairment in independent social interaction as manifested by the following:

(The examples within parentheses are arranged so that those first mentioned are more likely to apply to younger or more handicapped, and the later ones, to older or less handicapped, persons with this disorder.)
(1) marked delusional sense of awareness of the existence or feelings of others (e.g., treats a person as if he or she were an extention of himself; behaves as if clairavoyant of another person's distress; apparently projects own concepts and needs onto others)

(2) extreme or abnormal seeking of comfort at times of distress (e.g., constantly comes for comfort even when ill, hurt, or tired; seeks comfort in a stereotyped way, e.g., cries, whines needs demands for attention whenever hurt)

(3) constant or mindless imitation (e.g., always wave bye-bye; copies mother's domestic activities; mechanical imitation of others' actions whenever perceived to be in context)

(4) constant or excessive social play (e.g., always actively participates in simple games; prefers group play activities; involves other children in play only as long as the other children are exactly like themselves with no differences "mirrored images")

(5) gross impairment in ability to make peer friendships (e.g., obsessive interest in making peer friendships with other Neurotypics; despite interest in making friends and afore mentioned delusion of clairavoyance, demonstrates lack of understanding for those who are different and an obsessive rigidity for social convention, for example, constantly seeks attention/positive reinforment while staring mocking or laughing at others while they stim and rock and remain mute)

B. Qualitative impairment in verbal and nonverbal communication, and in imaginative activity, as manifested by the following:

(The numbered items are arranged so that those first listed are more likely to apply to younger or more handicapped, and the later ones, to older or less handicapped, persons with this disorder.)
(1) blatent overuse of all modes of communication, such as communicative babbling, facial expression, gesture, mime, or spoken language

(2) markedly abnormal nonverbal communication, as in the use of eye-to- eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, or gestures to initiate or modulate social interaction (e.g., anticipates and enjoys being held, does not stiffens when held, constantly looks at the other person or smiles when making a social approach, compulsively greets parents or visitors,insists on invasively stares into the eyes of others in social situations)

(3) excessive imaginative irrelevant activity, such as playacting of adult roles, fantasy characters, or animals, lack of interest in computers or other logical fullfilling pastimes

(4) marked abnormalities in the production of speech, including volume, pitch, stress, rate, rhythm, and intonation (e.g., gregarious grandious tone, overly emotional or syrupy melody, or overcontrolled pitch)

(5) marked abnormalities in the form or content of speech, including stereotyped and repetitive use of speech (e.g., immediate mindless or mechanical repetition of NT peers' latest 'in' or catch phrases) (e.g., "whatever" to mean "I am saying I disagree with you but I want you to be upset by my saying so in this way"); idiosyncratic use of words of phrases (e.g., "are you dissing me?" to mean "don't disrespect me"); or frequent irrelevant remarks (e.g., starts talking about the behavour of autistics at a table nearby during a meal at a restaurant)

(6) marked impairment in the ability to refrain from initiating a conversation or once initated to sustain a full thought during conversation with others, despite adequate speech (e.g., unable to stay ontopic/on thought due to the interjections from other Neurotypics)

C. Markedly restricted repertoire of activities and interests, as manifested by the following:
(1) inability or lack of understanding for or interest in stereotyped body movements, e.g., hand-flicking or -twisting, spinning, head-banging (except for during certain types of rock concerts), complex whole-body movements

(2) persistent lack of awareness or inability to perceive parts of objects (e.g., seeing 'a windmill' but failing to see the existance of the many beautiful finite parts which comprise the whole object, oblivion to feelings of texture of materials, spinning wheels of toy cars) or has an attachment to unusual objects (e.g., insists on driving around in a BMW, wearing Rolex watches, carrying a cellular phone or briefcase)

(3) marked oblivion to changes in aspects of environment, e.g., when a vase is moved from usual position

(4) unreasonable insistence in sameness in others in precise detail, e.g., insisting that exactly the same social behaviours always be followed when shopping

(5) markedly restricted range of interest and a preoccupation with one narrow interest, e.g., interested only in status quo climbing, impressing friends, or in pretending to be smarter or better than they are.

D. Onset during infancy or childhood.
Specify if childhood onset (after 36 months of age).
Trish: Colin go get your bike and put it away!

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Re: ADD and the games

Postby Clancelt on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:46 am

Brother, you don't even want to know. I think you got a taste of it the other night while we were on the phone. People hate talking to me on the phone because I get distracted so easily.

Steph and I talked about this at JC's house last year. I have it pretty severe, but I also have a nice dash of OCD thrown in the mix as well. I come by it naturally though, Dad, Grandfather, two Aunts, brother, etc.. all same side of the family.

You thought Christine put up with a lot with the games, she also puts up with the vacuum cleaner running sometimes three times a night, checking locks a million times before we can go anywhere, and so many other things I don't even realize I'm doing. I am getting better though. I found out that St. John's wort seems to do wonders for me. I hear it doesn't work for everyone though. It does make my life easier.

If I could only lick the unfinished projects part. I think I have been working (or not working) on my sheaf standards for three years now. I have all of the stuff I need to finish it too :(

-E
I'll spank you smartly with my spank ray.
Clancelt

Postby Sheaf daddy on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:45 pm

I REALLY recommend "Delivered from Distraction" by Hallowell. It is about successful people with it and what makes them successful and how do they utilize all the strengths it brings to do amazing things.

Colin: Okay but someone is going to swoop down, stop, take a picture and sell it on the internet.
Sheaf daddy

Postby jim on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:55 pm

I got distracted after the second paragraph.

And apparently, I self-medicate with excessive amounts of diet soda (caffeine).

ADD? Easily distracted? A typical Saturday...

Decide to add some fenced pasture, so head down to the barn. On the way, notice mess in the yard. Go up to the road and get trash can. See branches - decide to make more kindling. Wonder if the chipper/shredder still works - chip and shred for a while. Clean up part of the yard before remembering the fencing. Go to barn for fencing tools. Sharpen chainsaw, machete and scythe while listening to Car Talk. Move fencing tools to pasture. Decide to trim fenceline first. Find trimmer, fix trimmer, gas and trim fence. Finish fenceline and get axe and chainsaw. Drop a few trees for fun. Buck and split wood. Get cart and move wood to wood pile. Wonder if there is enough wood for the rest of the winter. Move seasoned wood up to the house. Eat lunch since I'm up there. Check e-mail. Remember I really need to do the fencing. Go down to back pasture. Notice that the water troughs are low. Decide it would be a good time to setup the pitcher pump at the pond. Go to barn and get pump, piping and plumbing tools. Setup pump, test, fill buckets. Decide footing would be better with nice, flat rocks. Go to pig pasture to get rocks. Lots of rocks have been uprooted. Decide to cleanup pig pasture using rocks to make stone wall. Oh yeah - the fence. Feed sheep on the way. Since they're there, trim some hooves, check for health. Getting late, better start on the fencing. Run one line before having to start evening chores. Finish chores, go inside for dinner. Wonder where the day went that I couldn't get the fencing done. Oh well, I'll get it done Sunday.

Heck - it took me almost 3 hours to write this.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
jim

Postby randy on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:48 pm

666.0 neurotypical disorder of the beast

hehhee. what was i doing before i did a quick check of this board? oh yeah, inputting grades....

back to work. sorry taxpayers, i'll double-time it.

r
STAY HUNGRY!!
randy

Postby Rich McClain on Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Eric,
I used St. John's Wort to battle depression back in the late 90's. It also took off the edge of my road rage. It basically brought many things back into balance.

No worries on this end. OCD, ADD, ADHD I stay just tired enough to limit affects of all three of them. Work on school work until 1 am, go to bed, get up at 5:30 am, go to work until 4 pm, go to 7th and 8th grade basketball games to watch Marissa cheer, leave to pick up school book for Brittany from friend, then to pick up Brittany, remember I need cash for fund raiser candy bars, run by ATM, pick up Brittany, take to babysitting job, come home, take supplements so I can work out around 7 pm. I will Workout till around 9 or 9:30 pm, then more school work. Probably call it an early night hitting the sack around midnight. Tomorrow is Wednesday right? Do something totally different tomorrow. I average around 5 hours of sleep a night during the week and about 7 or so on weekends except this one. I am headed for Ravenna, OH for Ohio Tundra Games Saturday. Hopefully it will be cold and snowy. Remember I have been training for this cold weather stuff.
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Clancelt on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:18 pm

It would seem that the sleep patterns are a common thread too. I don't sleep much at all. Usually hit the sack at midnight and then the alarm goes off at 05:00 and I'm off to work. Cause or effect, who knows. I have been trying to force myself to sleep. Friday and Saturday night I am usually up until 3:00 in the morning.

I really need to do something about that.
Clancelt

Postby Steph Riley on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:37 pm

I can't go to bed before midnight at all. I just thought it was because I was a "night owl". Anywhere between midnight and 2 am for me. But it's not a problem now that I set my own work hours. My boss says I can sleep until 8 am or later...she's a really really cool chick. At previous jobs I was ALWAYS late for work. Major problem for me. Procrastination and loosing track of time are my curses. Ohhhhhh ADD.

Jim, your fencing day seriously sounds like my life patterns. My cooking days go very much like that. It's amazing I get finished with anything.

Eric, I'm tempted to think that the OCD almost helps the ADD. Doesn't it force some kind of order into an otherwise chaotic life/brain? Maybe not.

Wonder which disorder I'll come down with next.
Steph Riley

Postby Clancelt on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:03 am

Of course we are all still up ;)

Actually, you would think the OCD would help but it doesn't. Unfortunately it seems like most of my "things" make no practical sense. Like I may have plans to go meet someone at noon and I see some books are crooked in my bookcase, which of course fires me into taking them all out and arranging them neatly. This starts me into a cleaning phase and out comes the vacuum. Then I'll call and cancel the noon appointment because I am way to busy with meaningless crap that I'd worry about if I didn't finish it. I'm starting to learn my triggers though and steer clear of the things that fire me off. I have one room in our house that nobody goes into, it is always kept neat and orderly and I go there to hide when I start to feel the compulsions coming. I'm sure everyone who has been to my house knows what room that is.

It does seem like a lot of ADD people also have OCD. It kind of hellish at times. I go from not being able to focus or pay attention to becoming so focused on something that nothing else matters. So this might be where the St. John's wort comes in. I think it levels me out a little.
Clancelt

Postby Rich McClain on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:26 am

I'm up later.... Ha Ha Ha! You can come to my house and stay when you get one of your moods, Eric. I lost that battle long ago. I attempted to keep things neat and orderly only for someone in the family come in and mess it up. My kids do the traditional stop, drop, and go when they get home from school. From the 18 pair of shoes in the Foyer, to the baskets and baskets of clean clothes that need put away, the only OCD I have is to always hang up my car keys and coat, and put my shoes in the same area of the foyer so they will be there when I have to go to work the next morning. I use to be pretty focused on things, but marriage, kids, work, life... has knocked it right out of me. UGH! The OCD will rise again when kids are gone, in about 6+ years. :)
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby Sheaf daddy on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:32 am

All I have to say is

"Insanity - It's difficult to comprehend how insane some people can be. Especially when you're insane. "

And

"Madness - Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
As far as sleep patterns go - I have only been working 1/2 days lately - 12 hours. So home at 7:30 - 8:00 passed out at 10 up at 4:30. woo hoo

Sheaf daddy

Postby FrankH on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:40 pm

Like most elderly folks, I hit the hay at 10pm, sleep like I've been hit on the head with an anvil, and am usually up at 5:45. I find that a couple of "Simply Sleep" (i.e. "drugs") are a big help in going to sleep, but do NOT get in my way in the morning as I aim myself toward the coffee (i.e. "drugs") pot. :evil:

What was this thread about? :shock:
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby KiltHooligan on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:59 pm

Wow... This was certainly a deep thread.
KiltHooligan

Return to Off-topic and nonsense