Family news

If it doesn't belong on the board, please keep it off the board. If you can't, post it here.

Family news

Postby agm on Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:04 pm

I was an only child for nearly 43 years.

Yesterday, wasting time on Facebook, I saw something that caused me to question that little fact. I sent out a quick message, and today got the confirmation. I was, in fact, an only child for about seven years, not 43. It turns out that I have a sister. No, wait, make that two sisters. Oh, yeah, and a brother, too. Not to mention at least two nephews and a niece.

So, how has your day been?
agm
Site Admin

Re: Family news

Postby Gunny on Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:32 pm

Congratulations! Times Three!
Semper Fidelis

James (Gunny) Justice
Gunny

Postby Jeff Storey on Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:23 pm

ok, THAT is really cool! Congrats man.

I didnt know you were on facebook tho...friend me dude! :D
I used to think this kitchen was big, until I saw you guys in here...
-AGM's mom
Jeff Storey

Postby Rich McClain on Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:46 pm

That's cool, Adam. Well, I'll be. What's the backdate on birthday presents going to be like? Congratulations!
Richard McClain
JUST SHUT UP AND TRAIN!
Rich McClain

Postby agm on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:02 pm

By my count, that's about 98 birthdays, just with my brother and sisters. Add in their kids, and who knows?
agm
Site Admin

Postby FrankH on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:53 pm

You win! Wow.
"...never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never... " --Winston Churchill

"A goal without a plan is just a wish". --Larry Elder
FrankH

Postby CelticElf66 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:39 am

Wow, how cool is that?
Alexandra Duncan

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly.
CelticElf66

Postby Mrs. T-Bone on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:29 pm

:D Assuming that's a good thing... Congratulations, You're a Brother! :o
Familiarity breeds consent...
Steph Stewart Fitzsimmons
Mrs. T-Bone

Location: Somewhere between the pool in Sarasota, the York river in Gloucester and the next game field

Postby angry ant on Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:07 am

That's amazing. I hope there's a good story behind it all. Are your siblings in the region, or scattered all around?
angry ant

Location: somewhere between the kitchen, yard, laundry room and shop

Postby agm on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:08 am

angry ant wrote:That's amazing. I hope there's a good story behind it all. Are your siblings in the region, or scattered all around?
Here's the story: My parents separated when I was three. I lived with my mother in New York (and later New England); my father was living in Puerto Rico. I last saw him when I was 10, in 1976. At that point, he had recently remarried. We lost touch, and I never got any updates on his life. He died in 1994, and I didn't find out until years later.

So, I was bored a few weeks ago and searched for my father's last name on Facebook. I found a couple of pages where people were looking for family info, and saw one person who gave her father's name - same as my father. I sent her a message, and the next morning we confirmed that she's my sister.

I don't have the full story yet - it's been a crazy few weeks. But I have two sisters, born two years apart. They didn't grow up with my father, and didn't even meet him until the older sister was five. And then they lost touch until the older sister looked him up when she was 19. Both sisters were born before I last saw our father, but he never mentioned them. I don't know what the story is with him and their mother. They obviously never lived together, but it wasn't a one-night-stand, either, since they had two kids. After that, when my father remarried, he and his wife had a son, about five years after I last saw him. They stayed together until my father died. He told his son about me; I don't know if he told him about the sisters, but they eventually met when the older sister found our father.

Nobody's in the area. My sisters live in Puerto Rico. My brother grew up there, but eventually went to graduate school in Spain, and is now studying in Austria.
agm
Site Admin

Return to Off-topic and nonsense